The library began operations with the founding of the Simon Dubnow Institute, since 2018 Leibniz Institute for Jewish History and Culture – Simon Dubnow, in the autumn of 1995. It is a special-purpose library geared to supporting research at the Institute. The holdings and new acquisitions reflect the research foci of the Institute. Books, periodicals and other materials can be used only at the library. The library presently contains some 21,000 books as well as numerous periodicals.
The collection contains the Library of the Israeli Historian Jacob Toury (1915–2004), which was placed under the signature T. The library also owns numerous microfilms and microfiche editions, such as the Private Archive of Simon Dubnow. A Search Help can be viewed online.
There are nine working places for reading, including an inclusive work station for people with limited sight and mobility, and three for using microfilmes and -fiches. Beside this the library owns a readerprinter.
The complete media stock can be looked up at the online Opac. All media is available in the library but since it is a reference library it cannot be used outside.
A limited use of the library for external readers is possible from 29 June 2020, after written registration and confirmation by the library, under the following conditions:
- Please send us an email with your name and telephone number as well as the required period:
Monday to Thursday, 9.30 am. to noon or/and 1.15 p.m. to 4.30 p.m.
- A booking confirmation from the library is absolutely necessary.
- The use of a mouth and nose protection in the library is still obligatory. However, it can be taken off at the booked workplace.
- The booking data of the attendance workplaces are stored for four weeks in a data protection-compliant manner for the potential tracing of infection.
- Changes of place during the working phase are not permitted.
- The hygiene regulations must be observed.
- Longer personal consultations cannot take place at present and will be answered by telephone or email.
- Please note any short-term announcements or changes on our website before your stay.
Phone: +49 341 21735-58